Wednesday 6 August 2014

Before My Jaw Surgery

I've known for a long time that I would be having jaw surgery to correct my overbite. My overbite was 13mm, which in orthodontic circles is considered to be huge. It affected my speech (slightly), my eating (greatly) and even my breathing. As such I was eligible to have my treatment for free thanks to the NHS. 

I had my braces fitted at the end of September 2011, the week before I left for university. When I had my braces fitted I did so knowing that I would need orthognathic (jaw) surgery to correct my problems. My teeth were never really too wonky, I had a small gap between my upper front teeth and my lower front teeth were crowded but I could live with that; my overbite however was just too much to handle. 

At the start of 2014 I met my consultant to set a surgery date and from then on I knew I would be having my operation on Thursday 7th August 2014. August soon rolled round and it didn't seem quite real that I would be having my surgery as it had always been something that was just far away in the future in my mind.

On Wednesday 6th August I got Dad to take some photographs of my face to use as my before photos so I'll insert those below to give you an idea of my face shape prior to the lower jaw surgery.








For my final solid meal (for a month or two at least) I went to my favourite Chinese restaurant with my family and my boyfriend. We had the 5 course meal option and for my main I had my usual - Chicken Chow Mein with Egg Fried Rice and Chips. I'll insert a few photos of the meal below.






The meal was absolutely delicious (as it always is) and I felt like I made the right choice for my final solid food. I was under hospital orders to eat nothing whatsoever once it was midnight and I could have plain water until 6am. The last thing I did before bed was take a photo of my teeth pre-surgery, which I'll insert below.


Then I just went to bed and tried to get a good night's sleep ready to check in at the hospital at 7am the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment